The Owls couldn’t beat Auburn for a second time this year on Tuesday night, as they fell 8-3.
- Freshman Jordan Hillyer got the start and didn’t fare too well. He gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 1.1 innings, and picked up the loss. He hit two batters in the process and committed an error. Hillyer might be making the move back to the bullpen soon, where he excelled over the first few weeks of the season.
- Hillyer getting the Tuesday start means Stephen Janas is now a weekend starter. Who is going to the pen? I would guess Will Solomon because it’s always nice to have more lefties down there, plus Travis Dean and Kevin Kyle are more established starters.
- Speaking of lefties, freshman Travis Bergen has done an excellent job as a LOOGY this year.
- Nathan Harsh will take the mound tomorrow for his first start of the year. He’s gone five innings on the season, striking out 7 and has yet to allow a run.
- Remember two nights ago I mentioned how Jacob Bruce is a better contact hitter than he’s shown? He went 4-4 with a double. He now has an 8 game hitting streak.
- Middle George College transfer Bo Way has hit safely in 12 games in a row and has a hit in every game this year except for one. His OBP is .417.
- Freshman shortstop Kal Simmons picked up two RBI, and as the team’s number 9 hitter he leads the Owls with 14 RBI.
- 8th inning set-up man Justin McCalvin still hasn’t given up an earned run all year.
- The Owls went down 8-0 and gave up all runs in the first four innings.
- In the first 5 innings, KSU plunked Auburn 4 times.
- The Owls will be back in action Wednesday against Georgia State at Stillwell Stadium and Nathan Harsh will get the ball for KSU.