Florida Gulf Coast 68 KSU 59
- The Owls made a game of this vs. a very good FGCU team. It came down to the final minutes, and that is progress. I’ve seen this team take a step forward to take two steps back before, so I won’t be effusive with praise just yet.
- Brandon Dawson tied his career high in points (for the 5th time) yesterday. His ability to shoot/drive kept FGCU a bit off balance. If he can build on this and keep playing aggressively, it would be absolutely huge. Coach Preston mentioned in post-game that Dawson has earned more minutes and will play more vs. Stetson tomorrow night.
- I thought Markeith Cummings played well. The numbers aren’t there, but sometimes it goes beyond the stat sheet.
- Delbert Love is now 8 for his last 15 three point attempts. He had five assists and only two turnovers. It looks like we’re seeing the Delbert from season!
- Aaron Anderson was Aaron Anderson. What else is there to say?
- The Owls drew a lot of fouls just by trying to establish post position. I hope this keeps up, and they work inside-out.
- Jordan Montgomery gave up his body for loose balls.
- The Owls shot nearly 50% on two point shots (14-30). GET THE BALL TO THE BASKET!!
Did not like
- The Owls were down at least 13 points early in the game, before storming back to take the lead at halftime. I like the resolve and the effort to get back in the game, but they should not have been in that predicament to begin with.
- Coach Preston mentioned in his post-game presser that guys who didn’t want to play how he wants them to play won’t play. I can imagine he was referring to Andrew Osemhen or Myles Hamilton. Both only played around 12 minutes.
- Nigel Pruitt was 0-6 on threes. Not a huge concern for the long run because I know Pruitt can shoot the rock, but when you play top teams, everything has to go right to pull off an upset. Three point shooting has been a problem for this team all year. The rest of the squad was 5-14 from long range.
- Even though the overall percentage wasn’t too bad (67%), the Owls missed some big free throws towards the end of the game.
- I like that Yonel Brown knocked down some shots yesterday, but he is the point guard and hasn’t shown the ability to get others good looks. A successful point guard can’t average more turnovers than assists, period.
- It was nice to see Nate Rucker on the Owls bench for the first time.
- If KSU was playing with a full deck, I imagine there would be two or three redshirt players this year.
- Cummings played an unselfish game yesterday, I was very impressed.
- Former Braves catcher Bruce Benedict (1978-1989) was one of the officials last night.
- This team should beat Stetson tomorrow (Wednesday) night. It’s a home game and a winnable game. 5:00 at the Convocation Center. I will try and make it if I don’t have to work. (The women play tomorrow at 2:30).
- The Mercer game is Saturday at 2:30 in Kennesaw, BIG GAME. (The women play at 5:30)